Also posted at Terra Nova
- Just a quick follow-up to Mike’s post from about 3 years ago. It looks like Club Penguin, while it has done very well, hasn’t met the requirements for the extra $350M — so the final price tag to Disney will be about $350M. Worth noting: Mike’s earlier predictions about a significant trend toward lightweight, non-traditional VWs/MMOs were right on the money, esp. if you factor in Facebook. Somebody probably owes Mike a quarter.
- And in other news, CNN ran an article on the Second Life lawsuit du jour, discussed by Ren immediately below, with Prof. James Grimmelmann making some nice feudalism analogies (cf. this & this & this).
- Update: And while I’m at it — I just noticed that there’s a new issue of Game Studies online, featuring an article from Vili L, Virtual Worlds don’t exist, a review of Mia’s Cheating book, and Richard doing a very in-depth review of the Euro guild “WoW Reader” book.
- Update 2: And apparently, Ted is speaking today (or yesterday) at The Federal Consortium for Virtual Worlds Conference 2010. Video w/interesting “name that VW” potential embedded below.
- Update 3: And one last note, if you’re looking for VW-related Podcasts, Robert’s Metanomics series has a page with MP3 downloads. Interesting interviews with Josh Fairfield, Doug Rushkoff, Viktor Mayer-Schönberger, and many others.